5 reasons why you need this oil in your life!
Copaiba Essential Oil
Copaiba essential oil is a distilled oil from an oleoresin called copaiba. This resin is produced as a sap of a tree in South America from the Copaifera genus. Although the resin itself can change its color depending on the ratio of resin to essential oil, once the oil is distilled out, it should be pale yellow in color with a slightly bitter taste and an aroma that is reminiscent of the balsam of the tree. Copaiba is one of the most anti-inflammatory substances on earth, and yet much of the world only uses copaiba as a lacquer or varnish. However, in traditional medicine, this essential oil has been used extensively by indigenous people and is now spreading around in the world.
Now for the really nerdy scientific stuff. The active components in copaiba essential oil are extremely powerful, consisting mainly of terpenes, which are hydrocarbons that can have significant effects on the functions of our body. Bonus points, most of the side effects of the terpenes found in copaiba essential oil are very beneficial for our health. One caveat though, if you consume too much of this amazing oil, it can cause stomach issues that mimic food poisoning. Additional bonus points here, allergies to this essential oil are rare, and it can be used both in topical applications and diffused.
Everyone knows my specialty is aromatherapy for animals. They don’t call me The Oily Groomer for nothing. This article is slanted toward cats and dogs; however, this oil can be used on humans as well. This human uses it daily in many different blends.
1. SKIN: This oil will protect the skin and physically change it, copaiba essential oil also heals the skin and infuses the body with powerful nutrients and organic compounds that can eliminate the appearance of blisters, marks, and pimples. In fact, copaiba essential oil is often topically applied to scars to speed their healing and reduce their visibility. This oil is a great way to help speed the healing of wounds when used topically (*with a carrier oil) When applied topically it is a wonderful analgesic. It has been noted to reduce pain, inflammation, and is also a great way to stop a migraine in its tracks. For pet uses I love to mix this with a few other oils such as peppermint, wintergreen and lavender to soothe sore muscles on older pets and achy groomers. This oil is known as an accelerator oil. When it is blended with other oils, it naturally boosts the chemical powers of the other oils it is blended with. I love to refer to it as the Nitrous Oxide of the essential oil world.
When applied topically to the skin Copaiba oil can:
¨ Protect against infection, reduce infections
¨ Tighten skin, reduce wrinkles and fine lines (for humans, no sure if it will work on a bulldog but you could try lol) , fade discolorations, reduce scar formation, stimulate hair growth
¨ Anti-fungal & prevent fungus re growth
¨ Detoxify, by drawing out impurities
¨ Improve the overall appearance & health of the skin & coat (or hair on humans)
2. Respiratory Health: Blended with other respiratory oils (Eucalyptus Globus & Radiata, Peppermint, Lemongrass etc.) and diffused into the air, this oil will help reduce bronchial swelling from any number of respiratory health issues. Used topically in a respiratory blend it will loosen the chest/back muscles that often are sore from coughing and wheezing. This is a wonderful way to use it for pets who have congestive heart issues or a form of canine influenza or kennel cough. Cats with chronic rhinitis issues and upper respiratory problems also respond well to this through diffusion or topical application. This is a great way to keep airborne bacteria out of the work environment. Diffuse this with a blend of other oils to keep your mobile grooming van healthy, boarding kennel, doggy day care, salon smelling great and also helping maintain good health.
3. Infection Prevention: This strong oil has such a powerful antibacterial nature. It can act as a major booster for the immune system. It protects internally, eliminating harmful bacteria and microorganisms that may be causing illness and irritations internally. By diffusing you are taking in the oil through your nasal membranes and letting it pass through the blood brain barrier much quicker.
4. Stress & Anxiety: In aromatherapy, copaiba is used to elevate the energy and improve mood. This oil has a distinct smell of sweet honey and balsam. Combine the scent and its soothing effects with other stress and anxiety relieving oils and this blend becomes liquid Xanax for you and your pets. Topical or aromatic usage will drastically reduce stress levels in a matter of minutes.
5. Other Good Stuff: This oil can be used in diuretic blends, great for the incontinent older dogs and cats. It also helps relieve high blood pressure, regulate blood sugar levels and so much more….
Put this one in your bag of aromatherapy tricks and watch the wonderful powers of Copaiba Oil work it’s magic on you and your pets.
*Disclaimer* This is not a substitute for medical advice for humans or animals. This is my opinion as a CA for humans and animals. Always consult with a professional before using essential oils on yourself or your animals* ~The Oily Groomer~